Sunday, 18 February 2007

Rapture



Read it. Now.

I don't care if you have to spend the money you'd normally spend on feeding yourself, or your children, or poor starved children with rickets and no lungs. I don't care if you have to spend the time you'd normally spend working, or sleeping, or saving the world from alien invasion. I don't care if it's the only thing you read, or the last thing you read. Just read the God damned book.

This is what poetry should do, what it can do. This is why I read poetry, why I write poetry and why I'm dedicating a huge chunk of my life and my self to poetry. Poetry is not about life; poetry is an integral part of life because it makes us see life for what it is. It makes us realise who we are and what we've experienced and what we're experiencing, while we bump around like big stupid boats, wholly insensible to what's going on both within and without.

Anyone who has been in love will adore this book. Even the cover's sublime.

3 comments:

G said...

If you haven't yet seen it, you might be interested in this CD:
Rapture by Eliana Tomkins

Thanks for the recommendation!

Rob said...

I like Rapture.

Have you read Mean Time? I think it's even better.

Scotty said...

Yep, I was in love once, and it hurt like crazy. Guess I'll have to get me a copy of that book to keep me company.

:-)