Thursday, 12 April 2007

The Heart of God

"Poetry... is another way to be hurled straight into the heart of God."
~ Marjorie Holmes


I love this quotation, because it sums up for me the link between poetry (all kinds of art, in fact, but for me, poetry in particular) and spirituality. So far, in my life, I've been a Christian, a Pagan and agnostic, and now I'm a bizarre blending of the three. But poetry, for me, is a big part of spirituality. I think the Druids understood that, which is partly why I'm so drawn to them. I asked the professor who lead my poetry seminars at uni, once, about the way in which poetry elevates us, gives us that spiritual feeling which has no name. What is that, and why do we get it? He said he didn't know, or the hyper-eloquent professor equivalent. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with rhythms... the heartbeat? I don't know. 12:40am isn't the time for deciding these things.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Interesting, our being drawn to rhythms and its connection to spirituality. I hadn't thought of that. Such a brilliant girl you are.