Thursday, 12 July 2007

Hots for the Smarts

Thought I'd share some Richard Thompson lyrics with you:

I like a girl in satin,
Who talks dirty... in Latin,
A girl who’s flirty,
When she quotes Krishnamurti.
If she likes to be goosed
While reciting from Proust,
I’ll know she’s my kind of creature.
Among her delectables,
Her intellectables
Must be her sexiest feature.

I’ve got the hots for the smarts,
The hots for the smarts,
IQ off the charts.
Give me brains over hearts;
I’ve got the hots for the smarts.

I like a girl from Mensa
With a furrowed brow.
When the tenses get denser,
She gets it – and how?
I need a polymath
Called Cindy or Cath,
Who likes her Plato not too platonic,
An autodidact,
Who can add and subtract
While sipping her Tolstoy and tonic.

I’ve got the hots for the smarts,
The hots for the smarts,
IQ off the charts.
Give me brains over hearts;
I’ve got the hots for the smarts.


I need a girl with a feel
For Faraday’s wheel,
A girl who’ll drool
For Fleming’s Left Hand Rule.
Now you may like pin-ups
Of girls who do chin-ups
Like Xena the Warrior Princess,
But I’ll take to dinner
My Nobel Prize winner
With plutonium stains down her dress.

I’ve got the hots for the smarts,
The hots for the smarts,
IQ off the charts.
Give me brains over hearts;
I’ve got the hots for the smarts.


I like a girl who knows loadsa
Kierkegaard and Spinoza,
Who likes to play chess,
Humming Porgy and Bess.
She must be able,
From her logarithmic table,
To find all those decimal places,
And what do I care
That she’s nothing to wear
And her teeth are imprisoned in braces?

I’ve got the hots for the smarts,
The hots for the smarts,
IQ off the charts.
Give me brains over hearts;
I’ve got the hots for the smarts.


I want a girl with a brain
The size of Siberia,
With a haughty disdain
Of all things inferior.
I don’t want a learner
With a Bunsen burner.
She must be the finished article,
Who sees our attraction
As chemical reaction
And charm as merely a particle.

I’ve got the hots for the smarts,
The hots for the smarts,
IQ off the charts.
Give me brains over hearts;
I’ve got the hots for the smarts.


I want a PHD
Who reads Linear ‘B’,
Who applies her lotion
With a Brownian motion.
Now some men may favour
A girl who’s a raver,
A tease or a saucy young minx.
But I’ll get undressed with
The girl I’m impressed with,
Who’s tunnelling under the Sphinx.

I’ve got the hots for the smarts,
The hots for the smarts,
IQ off the charts.
Give me brains over hearts;
I’ve got the hots for the smarts.

1 comment:

astairesteps said...

If only men really felt that way, right?!?!